http://gomiblog.com/forums/mommy-bloggers/alices-pregnancy-journal/
A real-life friend has started blogging for the first time, and I was about to encourage her saying that I have been blogging for a long time and found it a blessing, but then wondered how easily a real-life friend in the know might find my blog. So, all light-hearted, I googled my full name and the word "blog". Nada. Then I googled "Alice Neil blog" and found stuff, including the link above to a site I've never heard of, called "GOMI" which appears to stand for "Get Off My Internet" - in other words a place for gossiping and bitching about people who are on the internet, I assume. Ugh.
I started out with amused curiosity, but just, ugh. I have no idea how many total strangers are keeping up with my personal life whenever I post here, but it's not a nice feeling to see a bunch of total strangers discussing what they do or don't like about you (on a much deeper level than that - I'm generalising) in a forum. And knowing as I write this that some of YOU are them, and there are probably many more people not in that conversation who share their opinions and still read my blog with the fascination of a car wreck.
The worst thing is, even though I am very transparent and open in my writing, and so there shouldn't be much room for error - these people have a lot of stuff wrong bout pretty much everything they are talking about! If true, those things would be cause for concern, but it bothers me that apparently I have given these impressions here about my parenting, my kids, my motives, and my choices, so what if everyone thinks these things are true of me as well?!
There are a few, "She said..." about things I never did say (because they aren't even accurate!", and everyone is on about my choice to unschool, and then a ton of ignorance about the perils of unschooling. Do I really give the impression at my blogs that my kids run wild? We have never officially unschooled - been using curriculum from 2009 (Arthur was 4.5) until 2016, so I can't think what they're on about. We do unschool in part. So what? The neighbours never called social services - what the?! Uggghhhh.... I can't even be bothered to explain AGAIN about all the whys and wherefores, not that there's any need really, but yeah...
Also. I do not write much about my older kids because I do not have any time to blog. BUT, when a new life is in the works, a) YES, it is exciting, and b) I want ALL of my children to have had their pregnancies journalled. I write less and less each pregnancy, it seems, in terms of number of blog entries, because I can't find the time, but what I DO write, I have to FORCE time to do it. And I do it because I have a huge guilt-trip about needing to have the details blogged for memory's sake. I know I will forget it, and I don't want to. I don't want any of my kids growing up and wondering why there's nothing much to detail what my pregnancy was like with them, when there's a ton of detail about all their brothers' and sisters' pregnancies. So I do it. I love rejoicing in new life. It's so exciting that I have to share it. The time is squeezed out to get to write about family life and the older children's milestones. It's both infuriating and hilarious to me that people think I don't think much of my older children (and how sad it is that I only care much about them when they're little) based on the "evidence" that I don't mention them much in my blogs, only the little ones. Seriously, delusional people??
I am hurt by what I read, but I kind of laugh about it as well because oh how little people actually know of my life, my heart, my thoughts, my family. I thought because I blog really openly, that I'm like a book and readers must know me pretty well (weird and not always comfortable thought!). But I guess *I* know me really well, since I'm living the actual life of "me", and when I write I only write bits and pieces of my life, and because my brain knows the rest of it, I don't really think about the bits that are missed in my writing, or the effect the overall view might have as I have written it.
I write for me, not you. I love my children. I love all of them exactly the same, every age, both genders, all personalities and abilities and individual difficulties. They all know I love them dearly. None are struggling with abnormal issues or neglected in any way. We are not conventional in our schooling and we are not wildly social as a family. We do see other families, the kids do learn how to behave in public, and I am sad that I have in the past had a lot of flack for struggling with children who - as it turns out - are on the autistic spectrum, not just wild and out of control, and the result of me having too many kids to handle properly. Now that I have younger kids who do not have those same behaviour patterns, I am less self-depreciating over my ability to parent and do it well. Now that I have learned that not all children can learn on "schedule" - but guess what?! They DO learn eventually, just like the encouraging mamas assured me! - I am not so anxious about that.
Dear readers: I do not "care more about getting pregnant and being pregnant than the actual kid it creates". Has it not possibly occurred to you that I write about pregnancy to the extreme (and pretty much no other aspects of my life) because, ohhh, I don't know - this is a PREGNANCY journal? One that I started so that I could write about all things pregnancy, on purpose? And that I have an actual life outside of the blog?"! This is a snapshot of a part of my life. Would have thought that would be obvious, but whatever.
Also, what the heck about not having sex for 2 years due to vaginismus at the beginning of our marriage?!?!! Where do these people get this stuff?!! Housebound with M.E. people. Chronic fatiiiiigue. Get your facts straight, they make a difference.
If your husband calls me "mad Alice", stop reading my blog. I mean actually just go away.
I'm SO READY for making my blogs password-protected now. Never wanted that before, because I like people to be able to find me and read about the joys of things I hold dear. Also I have a lot of sweet readers who I don't know, but would not be able to give them a password to read because apparently who can be trusted with my vulnerability? Ugh.
In other news, I'm so sorry I haven't updated since Rosie was born. This must be good evidence that I don't care for her as much as my other babies because I used to blog about *their* early months, hey? Poor little neglected baby.
She is darling, smiley, contented and lovely. She is 5 months and almost-three weeks old, breastfeeding as I type this, rolling and laughing and delighting in all her siblings all day long. She is my rolliest, chubbiest baby with the best cheeks ever, and dark hair growing in beautifully. She started sitting without support this week, three day after Matthew's 10th birthday.
We are all doing well - kids are happy and growing like crazy, loving our not-so-new home and enjoying their own interests and each other. Neil has a long commute and is tired, and I hate that for him. He's so involved and helpful all the same and I love him. I am healthier, I think, than I was after Elijah and Lydia. No anxiety breakdown this time (so very grateful!), and my hormones feel way better balanced than they have after the last THREE babies before Rosalie. I don't know why, but who cares! ;) My periods came back at 3 months and I have just finished my 3rd so far. I am not charting, not temping, very aware of when I ovulate (super obvious signs leading up to it + pain on the day) and vaguely aware that only a few days pass from ovulation to period. I am busy enjoying my life, enjoying my children, doing the mummy thing, soaking up my babies at their fleeting precious stages, and enjoying my husband. ;) I turned 40 in February and for the first time I have no expectations or hopes or plans. Sometimes I hope for more babies yet. But I no longer plan on it, and I no longer expect it. In a way, I am MAYBE expecting my cycles to even out to normal again and to possibly conceive again. I know the risk of miscarriage goes WAY up after the age of 40 and I have no plans in mind of how anything will be from now on. So far I could have potentially conceived a couple of times, but with the short luteal phase I wouldn't get pregnant anyway, and I'm not expecting that to change any time soon.
Breastfeeding is going great. Elijah self-weaned when Rosalie was born, though he has asked twice since to try (once just today, actually, totally out of the blue!) and I have let him. He turned 4 last month. Three of his brothers were older when they self-weaned though. :) Lydia still nurses as often as I'll let her during the day, and not at all at night, ever. Rosie nurses on demand, day and night and I'm sure she will do for some time to come. I am loving it.
I can't think of what else. I wish I had time to update regularly, and post a ton of photos, but life is more important, you know? *sigh* A blog is a very narrow view of what I am actually like as a person. If you take it as the full picture, that's pretty narrow-minded. Ironically what they called me.
Anyway. Here is Rosalie at 3 weeks old. :)
At 2 months old - Arthur was holding her and she was fussing, and this is what happened! So precious! They all love her so much. :) (eta: He is not making that face because he is a) unhappy, b) unloved, c) overwhelmed with the burden of too many siblings. He was making his stillest face while wanting to be looking at the camera (his chin was resting on her head when I arrived with the camera) so that he didn't risk waking her. He would laugh and roll his eyes if you suggested to him that he has too many siblings, and by the way my eldest children are already hoping "so very much" for another baby, "hopefully a girl" and according to Matthew, "hopefully TWINS!!". Not neglected.)
Rosie at 3 months old - her hair did not fall out! Only the girls have done this - all 6 of my boys lost their newborn hair, isn't that odd?!
My little girls - Lydia at 2.5 and Rosie at 4 months old. Lydia had chosen both their outfits herself from their drawers and been totally insistent on them! She did a great job! :)
This photo was taken a couple of days ago, of Rosie sitting unsupported for the first time (5.5 months):
And finally, here's a photo that I took of us on one of our family outings last month, at the woods. We rounded a bend and the pathway and the light looked so beautiful that I insisted everyone set up for a quick photo! I set the camera timer and put it on the front of the pushchair, and took one shot, and this is it. :) All my loves together. I love it so much.
I don't know when I'll be back, and I may yet make this a private blog. I'm too tired to think about it for now. Thanks so very much for all the lovely comments asking how we're doing, and I'm sorry it has taken this long for any sort of an update. You are lovely! xxx






30 comments:
Dear Alice,
I'm sorry for what you've gone through! Hard to believe a site like that exists! I don't have a google account because I'm so limited on the internet but I love reading pregnancy blogs and have read yours now for years. I've had 10 pregnancies my last was twins but only 4 children. I have wanted to comment before now, to send encouragement during your pregnancy that you believed was twins. I think you are right, It was identical to mine. I gave birth to Thomas from that pregnancy but sadly our little boy Toby I delivered early at just under 5 months. I carried Thomas over my due date and he is a joy to have, the only boy in a family of 3 girls.
Anyway please don't stop blogging! You have a lovely family and I'm sure a lot of kind followers, like myself who are just too shy to post.
All the best,
Lynnie
Alice, I'm sorry that people are stalking your blog only to write terrible and presumptuous things about you. I have enjoyed your blog since being pregnant with my daughter (who will be 3 tomorrow). It helped me through a tough pregnancy and the early months and years where I questioned everything. I appreciate all you've shared. I hope you continue to blog, but totally understand if you make your blog password protected... Honestly, I would. I think you are a wonderful mother who allows her kids to live and grow at their own pace, and it is clear that you love every precious one of them. Thank you for sharing pictures of Rosie, and your whole family (Lydia has grown so much!). I'm glad you are happy and healthy, and life is peaceful for you and your beautiful family! Hugs and prayers!
Oh no honey I'm so sorry about that website. I ended up making my blog private because of a similarly vile website called "Behind the Bikesheds". I should have just let it wash over me but I figured if they really disliked me that much they didn't have to look at my blog :(
Horridness aside it was nice to have an update and how interesting about yours girls not losing their hair. Jaya didn't lose her hair either it just turned blonde!
Ignore GOMI-pretend it doesn't even exist. It's really easy to hide behind a keyboard and talk trash about people you've never met.
I've found that GOMI brings blog readers to blogs they would never have gone to it and half the time they discover that GOMI is full of baloney.
Rosie is an absolutely beautiful baby and I can't believe how big Lydia is. She looks like she's happy to be a big sister.
My granddaughter lost her baby hair but now at two, she's turned blonde and has hair to her waist.
Dear Alice. What a great gift today to open my blog up and see a post from you. Thank you for the update on your precious family. I love your blog and hope if you make it private, those of us who are your followers will be able to still read it. I wouldn't put a second thought in to that blog or those readers. As a mom of 12 pregnancies (but many losses), I learned a long time ago that our family and our path is only for us and to not fuss about what others think. I hope you take comfort in knowing there are many of us who do enjoy reading your story, your life, your family. Sending you a hug for today! Sincerely, Chy
I'm one of the strangers who reads your blog. I'm so very sorry about all the nastiness you read on that forum. I enjoy reading this blog, and have never once thought any if the things you mentioned (too many children, bad parenting, etc).
I will keep reading as long as you keep writing publicly, but I totally understand if you decide to go private.
God bless you and your family.
Wow. How sad. Sad that you've been upset and angered and sad that people think that is an acceptable way to think/behave :(
Sam x
Dear Alice
I'm so sorry there are people in this world that think it's ok to judge you like this. I have kept up with your blogs for years (since we both had ME) & I love hearing about your beautiful family. Some people sadly can be very judgmental but they are the minority.
Love Alice xx
Hi Alice! I'm a longtime reader who hasn't commented in a while, but I for one love reading your updates and would be very sad if your blog went away/became locked. I'm sorry people are passing ridiculous judgment on things they don't understand.
Add me to the list of long time readers (although this is my first time commenting!)
I can understand why you may want to make the blog private, but I would miss it so!
All the best!
Zara
Dear Alice,
I have ben quietly reading your blog for at least 6 years probably more and it would be pretty sad to think that those few that said stupid things make you lock up this account. As you said they mixed up all different details and GOMI is to bitch and natter by some really sad people....
Your daffily is beautiful and I will support you making your choices but I wanted you to know that some supporters don't always write to let you know they appreciate your opens and honesty around your pregnancies and family life.
Oh alice�� What a soapbox bunch of time wasting numpties they are! TOTALLY unworthy of your blog and your truth found within. Please don't let them undermine what you do and are - an absolutely fabulous mummy with a beautiful family. I hate to say it... But it's just jealousy xxxxx
Dear Alice,
I also have been a quiet reader for the last couple of years. I love the honest en loving way you descibe your life and pregnancies.
I totally understand it if you would make your blog private, but I would be pretty sad as well. Not only because I would miss reading your blog, but also because then mean another nice/positive thing in the world ended because of cynical people who can't keep their negativity for themselves.
All the best,
M
Dear Alice,
I have been reading your blog for a few years now and love reading updates from you and your family, please continue for your loyal readers. I am expecting my 9th baby and find your blog so interesting as we have both submitted our family planning to the supreme being. Please ignore the hate.
Aishah x
Have been following your blog for the last few years and never commented before–even though we have extremely different beliefs and lives, I love your writing, and I love the attention to detail about your pregnancies! Not many people have the courage to share what you do, and with sincerity to boot. GOMI is notorious for getting writers of all kinds down, but you have to take with SO many grains of salt. From one long-winded writer to another, keep going.
Hi Alice. I was so happy to be reading a post from you again -- I have been reading you since you were pregnant with Nathan. I completely understand if you need to make your blog private -- those things those GOMI people said were very horrible and I am so sorry that they hurt you so deeply. I hope that you don't take them to heart -- they are all losers who don't know you or your family, and clearly have too much time on their hands so they must resort to making up stories. Rosie is such a gorgeous baby and that group photo of your whole family is so sweet. I hope that you won't stop blogging, even if you make it private, I hope that you still continue to write and express yourself. You're an amazing writer and writing is so good for the soul. I'm sure your blog has helped thousands of women along their TTC/pregnancy/motherhood journeys, and whatever damage GOMI has done will never change that! Your blog has done so much good and added so much positivity to the internet, which as we know ca be such a dark place. Thank you for that. If I never read you again I understand. Just know that I (and hundreds others who don't want to or can't speak up) really valued your blog and enjoyed following your story, and that we will wish you and your family well.
As a victim of gossip and innuendo myself I'm sorry this happened.
GOMI is absolutely pathetic
I read the thread just then but compared to others...it wasn't that bad. Well its not nice but other christian blogs get savaged without remorse. A lot if nasty bitter women out there.
I am sorry you have gone through all that! I have so enjoyed your blog and it has been educational as well as fun to read a "larger family" chronicle from a mom's perspective!! If you turn your blog private.... Please share the password with me!! I have been following on and off for several years and would miss it. (I don't know you in person but have personally emailed you~ as you might (or might not) remember!
There are some really nasty people in the world and it is sad that normal and good people get so maligned by their twisted thinking....
Hugs!
By the way, Rosie is looking so cute! I love her chubby cheeks! And the picture of the sisters together.... ahhhh! And lovely family picture! Those are hard to get the larger the family!
Hi Alice,
I'm a silent reader, having found your blog late last year (randomly, through googling bedroom arrangements for large families!) and I now feel really bad that I've never commented... I read back through pretty much all your old entries on both your blogs and have loved getting to know your family... but I feel very guilty that I've done so without introducing myself. I tend to read during night feeds on my phone, so commenting isn't the easiest, and when I tried to write a long one once (on my phone!), it didn't save! :(
But I've got out the laptop which I can actually write on, and I'm going to leave you a proper note!
I'm Sarah, and I'm a bit of a blogger too, although mostly 'members only' on prosebox and formerly opendiary. I also have a lapsed blog at moonstarbaby.blogspot.co.uk which charted my second child's talipes treatment. I've 3 children and my husband and I yearn for a big family (I'd love the 8 you have!) but are having to accept that it probably won't be as big as we'd love, as we're both 35/nearly 35 and due to multiple miscarriages and challenges conceiving we 'only' have three children. I think we have similar taste in names, as my eldest (age 6) is called Lydia! And Rosalie is one of the very top girls' names on my list. I'm a tandem breastfeeder, homebirther and my second child has a neuromuscular disorder so am also 3 years into life as a special needs mum too.
I'm SO sorry you've had to deal with something so upsetting, especially in these precious early months of Rosalie's life when things should be so... protected and beautiful. I haven't followed the link but it sounds awful. Why would people say such things?! That's just horrible. I can totally identify with the excitement of pregnancy and the desire to document it... it's the most magical, amazing thing... but that doesn't mean you only have children for the pregnancy!! My youngest is nearly 1 and we'd love to be pregnant again (unfortunately I'm another short luteal phaser so it's a distant dream right now as mine is 4 days!!)... pregnancy is exciting, as is birth... as are children. I feel very lucky to have truly discovered how amazing being a mother is and how much joy my children bring... and experience from having siblings... why wouldn't I want more?! They're fab!
I completely understand if you choose to blog privately... I'd be considering the same in your shoes. But I wanted to say that I would miss your posts so much. Again, I feel very guilty that I've been completely one-sided in reading your posts but not giving anything of myself. If you happen to fancy joining prosebox then I can give you my username, and do pop over
to my blogspot blog if you want, even though I haven't updated in far too long (I really should).
Thank you for updating on Rosalie! It's great to read how much joy she gets from and gives to her siblings. My youngest, Helena, is just the same... she adores her big brother and sister, and the feeling is very mutual. I really hope that she gets to be a big sister one day... maybe even a few times.
Reading through your other notes shows there are many people like me who really love your blog and are disgusted that there are people out there hiding behind their computer screens to say such unkind things. I hope all these positive notes will have lifted you. And what a beautiful photo! Sending love! X
You have a lovely family and you are a great mum.
Urgh Alice I am SO CROSS on your behalf! (I don't frequent blogger much anymore so only just read this, and that horrid forum) knowing you PERSONALLY and knowing the kids personally, I can assure any reader and forum writer here that Alice adores all her kids. Every single one of them. They are well mannered and polite, conscientious, and respectful children. I ADORE the time I spend with you all because you are such a lovely family. I respect your family planning choices because I'm a decent person, and it's none of my business especially as all your kids are well looked after. Also, the stuff the kids have done are evident everywhere I look when I visit. I cannot believe there are people who are picking at your life and you as a person when they do not know you!! Much love, always. X
Urgh Alice I am SO CROSS on your behalf! (I don't frequent blogger much anymore so only just read this, and that horrid forum) knowing you PERSONALLY and knowing the kids personally, I can assure any reader and forum writer here that Alice adores all her kids. Every single one of them. They are well mannered and polite, conscientious, and respectful children. I ADORE the time I spend with you all because you are such a lovely family. I respect your family planning choices because I'm a decent person, and it's none of my business especially as all your kids are well looked after. Also, the stuff the kids have done are evident everywhere I look when I visit. I cannot believe there are people who are picking at your life and you as a person when they do not know you!! Much love, always. X
I am so very sorry you experienced this. I have lived following your blog and see all your children. As someone who once considered becoming a doula I love to read about your pregnancies and the similar and different experiences you have had. In our society today with many people limiting the sizes of their families it is hard to get this kind of information. For someone who is trying to get pregnant or experiencing pregnancy for the first time this blog would be a great source of information.
I haven't checked your blog in a while and am totally shocked to see that you are being given a hard time on a site. Some people must be bored with their own lives. Anyway, so glad to see you all are doing well!
I can't believe what gossipers and tale bearers people are! Wickedness. I'm sorry Alice.
You can find out easily Bangalore escorts services in Basavabagudi.
https://www.whollymodels.com/basavanagudi-escorts.php
Your post is awesome and content is very readable
Call girls in bangalore
Escorts services in bangalore
Post a Comment